Fox News, Facebook to Host First Republican Presidential Primary Debate Aug. 6
FOX News, Debate #1 @ 5:00 PM ET; Primetime Debate @ 9:00 PM ET
The first Republican presidential primary debates, hosted by Fox News and Facebook in conjunction with the Ohio Republican Party, will be held at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, starting at 5:00 PM ET on Thursday, Aug. 6. This is the same venue as the 2016 Republican National Convention scheduled for next summer.
Moderated by Special Report anchor Bret Baier, The Kelly File anchor Megyn Kelly and FOX News Sunday host Chris Wallace, the debate will feature Facebook data illustrating how the issues of the day are resonating with people on today’s largest platform for political conversation. FOX News viewers and Facebook users will also be able to share images and video questions via Facebook, some of which will be used to help formulate questions for the candidates and broadcast during the debate.
FOX News’ Executive Vice President of News Editorial Michael Clemente announced the entry criteria as follows:
- Must meet all U.S. Constitutional requirements; and
- Must announce and register a formal campaign for president; and
- Must file all necessary paperwork with the Federal Election Commission (FEC); and
- Must have paid all necessary federal and state filing fees; and
- Must place in the top 10 of an average of the five most recent national polls, as recognized by FOX News leading up to August 4th at 5 PM/ET. Such polling must be conducted by major, nationally recognized organizations that use standard methodological techniques.
Clemente also noted that FNC will provide additional coverage and air time on August 6th to those candidates who do not place in the top 10.
Adding to the announcement, Andy Mitchell, Director, News and Global Media Partnerships at Facebook, said, “Facebook’s scale and foundation in real identity give Fox News and the Republican contenders for the nomination the opportunity to open up the debate to Americans in a new and unique way. FOX News hosts often take to Facebook to connect with viewers authentically; their using Facebook to bring those viewers into this debate demonstrates how the platform has become an essential part of the political process.”
August 6th: Watch Online and On Air
5:00 PM ET
6:00 PM ET
9:00 PM ET
Online Post-Debate Show
Other articles in News & Blogs:
- The 2018 Winter Olympics Brings the World Together Through Sports
- 'The Simone Biles Story:' From Foster Care to America's Most Decorated Gymnast
- TV Weekly Cover Features Film Adaptation of Al Roker's novel for Hallmark's 'Morning Show Mystery: Mortal Mishaps'
- Catherine Zeta-Jones Stuns in 'Cocaine Godmother: The Griselda Blanco Story'
- The 75th Golden Globes: Time and Nominees