'Murphy Brown' is Back to Take On the New Age of News
CBS, Thursday, Sept. 27, 9:30 PM ET
By Lori Acken
TV’s favorite sharp-tongued newswoman returns a full 20 years after she went off the air.
On Thursday, CBS resurrects Murphy Brown, the beloved sitcom that ran from 1988-98. In the new incarnation, veteran journalist Brown (Candice Bergen) returns to the airwaves in response to “a divided nation, chaotic national discourse and rampant attacks on the press.” And she’s not coming alone.
Murphy convinces her old FYI team — lifestyle reporter Corky Sherwood (Faith Ford), investigative reporter Frank Fontana (Joe Regalbuto) and frequently exasperated producer Miles Silverberg (Grant Shaud) — to sign on for a new daytime talk show.
But another character familiar to Murphy Brown fans is also back and then some. Murphy’s biggest on-air competitor in her new time slot is none other than Avery Brown (Jake McDorman), now all grown up and of a sociopolitical mindset that’s a far cry from his mom’s.
Other articles in News & Blogs:
- Miss Universe: South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters Offer Her Advice to This Year's Contestants
- 'Northern Lights of Christmas': Ashley Williams' Holiday Memories Take Off
- 'Deal Or No Deal' - Howie Mandel Pops That Question Again as the Show Returns
- Hallmark's Biggest Week of Originals Ever
- Christmas at Graceland: Kellie Pickler Discovers the Holiday Blues at the Home of the King