Premieres Tuesday, April 19 at 10 PM ET/PT on AMC
A contemporary interpretation of le Carré’s espionage drama and the first television adaptation of a le Carré novel in more than 20 years, “The Night Manager” encompasses love, loss and revenge in a twisting tale of modern criminality.
The drama follows hotel manager Jonathan Pine (Tom Hiddleston) in his quest to bring down international arms dealer Richard Roper (Hugh Laurie). Pine, a former soldier, is thrust into a world of international intrigue when he is recruited by a British intelligence officer (Olivia Colman) to infiltrate Roper’s inner circle. To get to the heart of Roper’s vast empire, Pine must withstand the allure of his beautiful girlfriend Jed (Elizabeth Debicki) and the suspicious interrogations of his venal chief of staff Major Corkoran (Tom Hollander). In his quest to do the right thing, Pine must first become a criminal himself.
In the first of 6 parts, Hotel night manager Jonathan Pine receives a plea for help from a well-connected guest. His actions draw him into the world of Richard Roper, a businessman and arms dealer.
About the characters:
• Jonathan Pine (Tom Hiddleston) is an ex-soldier who fought in Iraq and now lives in retreat from life, and from himself, as a hotel night Porter.
• Richard Roper (Hugh Laurie) behind his mask, is a billionaire businessman, entrepreneur, philanthropist, gentleman – lurks a Mephistopheles.
• Angela Burr (Olivia Coleman) runs her modest enforcement agency – at the heart of which is a private crusade to bring down Richard Roper.
• Jed Marshall (Elizabeth Debicki) is on the run from life, and at the moment her safe harbor is the court of Richard Roper.
• Major Lance Corkoran (Tom Hollander) is Dicky Roper’s fixer, his right hand.