Airs November 25 at 9PM ET on PBS
(Check your local listings)
Retrace Einstein’s thought experiments as NOVA reveals the simple but powerful ideas that reshaped our understanding of gravity, illuminating the theory of general relativity—and Einstein’s brilliance—as never before.
On November 25th, 1915, Einstein published his greatest work: General Relativity. This theory transformed our understanding of nature’s laws and the entire history of the cosmos, reaching back from the present moment to the origin of time itself. Now, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Einstein’s achievement, NOVA tells the inside story of Einstein’s masterpiece.
The film looks at this deeply curious rebel, loner, day dreamer...and how the world has changed because of his revolutionary idea—from the profound to the everyday gadgets, such as GPS, which would all be 6 miles off in calculations if it weren’t for this theory.
• Thought Experiments – what led Einstein to his incredible break through
• One mathematical sentence explains gravity and the push and pull of space and time
• How one person alone came to conceive a discovery that helps us understand the universe as we know it today
• Explore the extremes of Einstein’s theory of general relativity such as black holes and the evolution of our universe
• Search for the Holy Grail of Physics – a unified theory expanding on Einstein’s theory