Premieres Wednesday, August 9 at 9 PM ET/PT ON ABC
Elizabeth Vargas and More
On the eve of Princess Diana’s birthday, ABC and Time Inc.’s PEOPLE announce the list of exceptional voices to be featured in “The Story of Diana.” The two-night, four-hour primetime television event documenting the extraordinary life of Princess Diana marks the 20th anniversary of the icon’s tragic passing at age 36. “The Story of Diana: Part One” airs Wednesday, August 9 (9:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), and “The Story of Diana: Part Two” airs Thursday, August 10 (9:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.
Charles, 9th Earl Spencer, brother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, gives his exclusive U.S. interview, providing personal and touching stories of his beloved older sister set to archival and home movie footage of Diana from her childhood through her adult life. This rare opportunity to hear from someone so close to the “the People’s Princess” will share an intimate glimpse into her remarkable, yet far-too-short life.
The special includes friends of Diana:
· Sir Richard Branson, founder & CEO, Virgin Group
· Dr. James Colthurst, Diana’s childhood friend
· Elizabeth Emanuel, Diana’s wedding-gown designer
· India Hicks, Prince Charles’s cousin
· Lana Marks, Diana’s friend
· Tessy Ojo, CEO of the Diana Award
· Vivienne Parry, friend from Birthright, a mother and baby charity
· Wayne Sleep, friend and former Royal Ballet star
· Colin Tebbutt, Diana’s driver
· Jerry White, 1997 Nobel Peace Prize winner
· Mervyn Wycherley, Diana’s chef
As well as experts:
· Jess Cagle, editor in chief, PEOPLE
· Chris Connelly, media correspondent
· Robert Lacey, author and royal historian
· Elizabeth Vargas, ABC News anchor
The documentary marks the 20th anniversary of her tragic passing at age 36 and will capture the most comprehensive interviews ever conducted on the woman known as the people’s princess: in-depth conversations with those who knew her best, as well as the world’s leading Diana experts. These interviews will be woven together with PEOPLE’s unparalleled reporting, as well as captivating archival footage of the Princess of Wales. The documentary will not only explore the remarkable chapters of Diana’s life, but will also delve deeply into the ways in which her story remains relevant today. This television event will remind the world why they fell in love with Diana in the first place – and will introduce her to a whole new generation.