NFL football is back and so is Tom Brady; Las Vegas oddmakers, fantasy football react
NBC, 8:30 PM ET Photo: Dean Beattie, ZUMA Press/Newscom
It’s opening night of the 2015 NFL regular season as the Pittsburgh Steelers head to Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass., to take on the Super Bowl XLIX champion New England Patriots. The Steelers won the AFC North last year with an 11-5 record, but were summarily ousted from the playoffs in the wild card game by the Baltimore Ravens and quarterback Joe Flacco's clutch second-half performance.
As for the Patriots, they're happy to have Tom Brady starting. Brady was projected to be sidelined due to the NFL's Deflate-gate debacle, but his 4-game suspensioin was vacated last week by Judge Richard Berman of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, creating the opportunity for the Pats signal caller to play.
Las Vegas oddsmakers appear happy to have Brady back. Prior to the suspenstion, New England were tabbed as 6.5 point favorites over Pittsburgh, but the spread fell all the way to 2.5 points when it appeared Brady wouldn't play. And Oddshark has Brady as a +150 favorite to have more fantasy points in week 1 than Dallas' Tony Romo (+175) and Peyton Manning (+200), both of whom face tougher defensive matchups this week against the New York Giants and Baltimore Ravens respectively.
Other articles in News & Blogs:
- NatGeo expands Morgan Freeman's 'Story' Franchise from God to Man in 'The Story of Us'
- Ovation's period drama, 'The Halcyon,' exquisitely mixes British aristocracy, staff and eclectic guests in a 5-star hotel at the cusp of WWII
- Today's best college football games on TV
- Mandy Moore admits that "This is Us" makes her cry too
- Elizabeith Moss, Nicole Kidman awe in the return of Jane Compton's knockout serial: Top of the Lake: China Girl